Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trackday advice

1. Re: Trackday advice

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Right now I have all street tires on there. If I do need to get track tires or street/track tires, then I might have to wait a little longer so I can get the money together.
    Whenever I do my first trackday, I'm just running the Pilot Road 2's that I've got on the bike now. I doubt I'll be fast enough to even need or notice a difference. If trackdays become a habit, or I start getting really fast, then I'll buy a set to use on my trackdays. I've read about plenty of other people running street tires on the track. Is it ideal? No, but I wouldn't let the fact that you don't have track tires keep you from going.

2. Re: Trackday advice

Awards Showcase

I ran some Q2s at T-Hill with DR. They felt good, dragged knee and everything... Went down on turn 14 but that was rider error.

-dN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3. Re: Trackday advice

I'm not saying that street tires are not OK, just saying that I have noticed that out of the 3 sets of tires, The street/track tire felt A LOT better then the street oriented tired. Yes, you need a couple of laps for your tires to heat up.

I only have 3 trackdays under my belt. I am an experienced dirt rider and had a couple of years of street riding before completing my first trackday. So, if you already have quite a bit of street expeirence, a street/track tires is going to be more benificial, if you are a relatively new rider, a street oriented tire can be ok. I noticed the back sliding on the street tire and none (Other than rider mistake on braking ) on the street/track tires.

So, take all of this with what value it is worth. I am giving you MY experience and MY opinion. Don't not do the trackday just because you want different tires. Just beware of what type tires you have and your capabilities and what you want to take away from the trackday.

Most of all, go out, meet other riders, ride and learn. Take in the free classes that are available as well.

4. Re: Trackday advice

Hey slider what tires do you have right now?

5. Re: Trackday advice

Awards Showcase

I have shinkos on right now. Not sure of the exact ones. As for my rider skill level, I've only got about 6 months of riding under my belt so I'm still in the "new rider" category.

6. Re: Trackday advice

Just take it easy and you'll be alright with those tires.Just remember what we have talked about not riding over your head.

7. Re: Trackday advice

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    I have shinkos on right now. Not sure of the exact ones. As for my rider skill level, I've only got about 6 months of riding under my belt so I'm still in the "new rider" category.
    Slider, I've been riding this "Shinko 010 Apex" ridden at Hwy 49, Del Puerto Canyon, Mines Road, Corral Hollow, Patterson Pass Road and some Freeway miles.

Pros:
    its sticks really well on the corners, front tires is Aramid, and it's awesome. I have the front on the edge, and no slips.

Rear tire is awesome for railing the corners.

Cons:
    Rear tire dont seem to last on mileage. Maybe because it's the damn freeways, lol

---
    - Buelligan's using Tapatalk
    It is a pleasure to learn how to ride..., specially for that rider who is in front of me.

8. Re: Trackday advice

Awards Showcase

Are there any extra things to worry about for fall trackdays? Money's getting kinda tight so I may need to push the date of my trackday down a month or so.

9. Re: Trackday advice

Slider its easy homie, Make sure your bike is clean and ready to ride like others said bring fluids gas,water, etc. Every one has already gave you great advice since its your first trackday take your time and learn the track ride at your pace. See if you can get with an instructor and have them show you around. If you decide to do a trackday with www.pacifictracktime.com i will spend the day with you and show the line and work with you and make sure you have the best day woooo woooo. Rule #1 Have Fun if you have any ??? at all feel free to PM

Good times a way of life
    Ugo Gomez